Call for applications for membership to the editorial board of the East African Journal of Science Technology and Innovation EAJSTI
The East African Journal of Science Technology and Innovation (EAJSTI) is multidisciplinary, open access, peer-reviewed journal that publishes original research of relevance to the East African Community and beyond, covering basic and applied research in science, technology, and innovation www.eajsti.org. The journal is published by the East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO), which is a semi-autonomous institution of the East African Community (EAC). The overall objective of EASTECO is to promote and coordinate the development, management, and application of science and technology to support regional integration and socio-economic development www.easteco.org. The goal of the Journal is to enhance, advance, and disseminate scientific, technological, and innovative knowledge that supports regional socio-economic development. The objectives of the journal include:
- To support the development of evidence-based policies;
- To provide an avenue for disseminating scientific research and technological findings to researchers, professionals, industry, and other stakeholders in the EAC and beyond;
- To increase the number and quality of scientific publications from the EAC Partner States;
- To advance and open up the new frontiers for further research in science, technology, and innovation domains;
- To enhance the visibility of the regional scientific and technological research, and;
- To promote international recognition of local researchers and professionals.
The journal publishes in seven (7) thematic areas including:
- Agriculture, Food Security, and Rural Development
- Health and wellbeing Sciences
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management
- Energy and Industrial Development
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
The editorial policy of the journal provides that membership to the Editorial Board is for a maximum of five years, with rotational retirement from the third year. The journal, therefore, seeks to recruit new members to the Editorial Board to ensure effective service delivery as the number of submissions increase, and to replace members who have since retired.
Roles and Responsibilities of Editors
- Development of the journal editorial policy
- Development of medium- and long-term strategies for the journal
- Ensuring the quality of content - The Editors will be responsible for ensuring that the content of the Journal is of high quality in terms of accuracy, validity, reliability, credibility, ethical compliance and transparency, readability, and relevance to the Journal’s scope and mission;
- Mobilization of resources and establishment of strategic partnerships for the sustainability of the journal
- Performing initial screening of submitted manuscripts to determine compliance with the scope of the journal;
- Allocation of manuscripts to peer reviewers
- Monitoring of the reviewing process, including responses to comments
- Scheduling of accepted manuscripts for publication;
- Working with guest editors for publication of special issues
- Encouraging young and emerging researchers to publish
The Editorial Board is expected to deliver the following:
- Functional editorial strategy and policy
- Developed medium- and long-term strategies for the journal
- Regular publication of the journal issues as scheduled
- Enhanced impact factor of the journal
- Increased number of publishing young and emerging researchers
Minimum Qualifications, Skills, and Competences
The Editors should have the following qualifications and competencies:
- Preferably have an earned Ph.D. in the relevant discipline
- Good track record of consistently publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
- Hold or have held a senior academic or research position in a recognized University or Research Institution.
- Demonstrable experience in manuscripts reviewing and editing
- Should be available, committed, and willing to serve voluntarily
Tenure of the members of the editorial board
The tenure of the members of the editorial board is a maximum of five years with rotational retirement from the third year.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications, which shall include a cover letter of expression of interest and a detailed Curriculum Vitae. The application should be sent to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 28th February 2021 and addressed to:
The Editor in Chief
East African Journal for Science Technology and Innovation
East African Science and Technology Commission